Looking for Glitter Boards? They now live on Supernaturale!

You are not logged in [Register] [Login] [Help/FAQ] [Search] [Index]

Topic sugarfree /low fat desserts? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By valagator On 04/06/04  

I would like a couple of recipes for cookies and sweets that are suitable for my diet. I cannot eat sugar or partake in eating items with alot of fat either...

The stores only carry a sweet and low cake mix and altho it is ok... it is pricey.. and the frosting is not yummy enough to spend 4 bucks on.

Ideally I wouldlike to make oatmeal cookies, a chocolate chip kind.. does anyone know if Carob chips are sugarfree/lowfat? and I would like to make cupcakes or muffins that are not laden with sugar and fat.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.. cookbook recommendations, website links, even recipes you might have in your files.

Thanks so much!!

By sewfan On 04/06/04  

Smart Cookies is the best best best dessert cookbook. They're delicious and good for you- just sweet enough without added sugar or fat.
Soooo yummy.

By melmelon On 04/06/04  

I'll be trying this recipe later today:>http://www.mothering.com/recipes/waffles.shtml
and this site seem sto have some interesting recipes...inspired me to buy that dehydrator off of ebay.>http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/

By nicegirl512 On 04/06/04  

My new love is sugar-free crustless pumpkin pie. Tastes like dessert, but is healthy enough to be a vegetable side. Buy a can of Libby's pumpkin (plain pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling), and make according to the recipe on the can, using fat-free condensed milk, and substituting splenda for the sugar (I use less splenda than the amount of sugar the recipe calls for because (1) my sweet tooth has calmed down and less sweet is still satisfying, (2) splenda is expensive, and (3) splenda must be rationed because my grocery store is sold out of it every time I go). I also add lots more spices than called for, although I accidentally added too much nutmeg to my most recent batch. Nutmeg isn't good in large quantities.

I use a glass casserole dish because it has a lid for easy refrigeration, but you can use a regular pie dish too. Grease the dish well with canola oil (the healthiest oil), pour in the filling, and bake according to directions. It's 15 minutes at 425 and then it says 40-50 minutes at 350, but it's more like 60-70 minutes at 350. Cover the pie about 20 minutes into the 350 or the top will get a little too dark for comfort.

Refrigerate and enjoy. I LOVE it I tell ya.

Sugar free pudding made with skim milk is also a good dessert for when you must have chocolate.

By SeraAngel On 04/06/04  

i'm not sure if you are allowed to have natural sugars ie. fruit...

there is a company that makes candies, chocolates that don't use refined sugar instead they use evaporated cane sugar for their products.
they also make chocolate chips to bake with, they are normally sold in health food stores.
>http://www.nspiredfoods.com/tropicalsrc.html
>http://www.nspiredfoods.com/cloudnine.html

By valagator On 04/07/04  

You guys are so awesome..... I tried getting information on stevia and another sugar substitute website.. and the recipes were really high in fat... I wil be checking all the suggestions out today.

I am ok with having severe restrictions in my diet... but my husband does not have those restrictions and every now and then he eats goodies in front of me and I would like to have a treat of my own once in a while...
Thanks so much.
Val

By nicegirl512 On 04/07/04  

This is similar to what I posted above, but if you want to make a fancy/special sugar-free lowfat dessert make a trifle out of the chocolate cake recipe on the Splenda box (I can't find it online, so I don't know if it's low fat, you can probably sub applesauce for some of the fat, but be warned it's kind of a dry cake when made according to the recipe), sugar free chocolate pudding made with skim milk, and berries. Very festive.

My ice cream substitute is frozen Cool Whip Free. If you never have the real thing, it's a pretty good substitute. 2 tbsp have 15 calories. You can't eat too much if sugar is a problem for you though, because it's mostly made of corn syrup so after a while the sugar adds up.

gromcocontact infofreelance bbs