You are not logged in [Register] [Login] [Help/FAQ] [Search] [Index]

Topic How did you start??? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By headbunnie On 04/06/04  

So, I'm ready to start. but i'm totally scared, so i'm hoping some of you can share some inspirational stories on how you started and your success.

did you start with craft fairs or online or in consignment shops? and any tips you'd be willing to share with me (and the other glitteri) would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking of going the craft booth route because it seems like it's low risk (one time event) to see how i do and learn. but let me know if i'm wrong.

thanks
katrina

By lexs_creations On 04/07/04  

I jumped into it with all of the above. ;) I've found consignment to be completely un-profitable, but it depends what your product is and where you're selling it. I had an e-commerce site there for a while but since I know hardly anything about web design and had only a webcam to use for taking pictures, it wasn't great; now most of the e-commerce I do is on ebay. But craft fairs have BY FAR been my most successful way of doing business. Make sure you have a business card to give out to anyone and everyone--the best part of the craft fair isn't necessarily sales made at the fair, but sales made to return customers or their friends...

:)

Lex

-------
Alexis M. Greer, Designer
Lex's Creations - Handmade Jewelry >http://www.lexscreations.com
E-mail: lex@lexscreations.com

By misshawklet On 04/07/04  

I'm a beginner and I am finding even if consignment does not make me lots of money, at least it gets my name out there, it gives me links to send people to to buy my things (and helps out the store owner in the proces), and you do get some money from it too.

At the beginning I think getting your name out is the main thing really, with a great product along with it. you have to spend to make, you know? At the same time you are also building working business relationships with other people, which is necessary.

By lexs_creations On 04/07/04  

Consignment didn't get my name out there nearly as much as putting up fliers did, and that cost me nothing. ;) I am consigning at only one store right now, because the commission rates are low and because I sell jewelry, and it's an art and frame store, so there's no direct competition IN the store...plus they've got my stuff displayed right in the window.

The rule of consignment, as a veteran of the jewelry business told me, is that if you have pieces in a store on consignment and nothing has sold within a month, take them out.

Though I suppose paying the listing fees on ebay adds up to just as much as a high commission rate would.

*shrug*

To each her own. :) I am glad consignment is helping you.

Lex

-------
Alexis M. Greer, Designer
Lex's Creations - Handmade Jewelry >http://www.lexscreations.com
E-mail: lex@lexscreations.com

gromcocontact infofreelance bbs