You are not logged in [Register] [Login] [Help/FAQ] [Search] [Index]

Topic book aftershock Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By sunkissedmiss On 04/05/04  

That feeling, when you've thrown yourself into a book. And the book is done with you but you're not done with it, you're still living in that world even though it no longer exists, because you the story finished, the book closed, that universe extinguished.

But you're still there and you're now disoriented, not sure what's up or down. You were alive in that book, when you think back to something that happened, it's personal, it's not just "wow, Jimmy must have felt betrayed by Crake", it's "I feel so betrayed by what Crake did to Jimmy".

I don't know how to describe it. I just know that the antiutopian ones put me in an odd mood.

I just finished reading Oryx and Crake a few minutes ago - can you tell?

This is the first real book I've read this semester. Books tend to get to me like that, and they seem to hit me harder now that I'm older. I feel like this might be why I don't read anywhere near as often as I used to.

I hope I make sense. Thanks for "listening" to me rant. :) I'm slowly coming down from this book induced state...

By deleria On 04/05/04  

YES! i do understand this.

it happens to me with movies too, but it's more alienating with books because it was in your head so no one can experience it with you.

when i was younger, it was francesca lia block books. most recently, it was after "the five people you meet in heaven" by mitch alblom.

By Katrin On 04/06/04  

I felt the same way after reading _Oryx & Crake_. Most recently it was with _Perdido Street Station_ by China Miéville. It was so sad and unfair what happened to...um...that one character! And I missed all the characters when I was done - with such a hefty book, I felt as if I'd spent lots of time with these people.

By Alicewonderland On 04/06/04  

I just finished a handmaids tale for the first time (atwood) I had avoided reading it because I figured it was some renisoncy novel about a maiden in some court.

Boy was I wrong.

I am so unbelievably thankful for my relationship right now. That I have the right to cherish someone.

By thixle On 04/06/04  

I cherish that feeling! And Handmaid's Tale got me going so much, too. For weeks after I read that, I looked at high heels and lipstick (something I choose not to wear) in such a different light.

If I'm really coming down off of a "book high" I read it again, just to return to reality.

Oh, The Postman (Brin) and A Canticle for Lebowitz (Walter M Miller, Jr) are two more of my favorites. No matter how many times I read those, I still become entirely transported.

By MlleEmily On 04/06/04  

I kinda got the same feeling with Oryx and Crake, but I think it was because I was pretty disappointed with it overall and was like, um, Margaret, you can do better than this! I was left pretty cold by that book. After Alias Grace, however, I felt empty because it was so great and I was so sorry it was over.

When I finished Middlesex (Jeffrey Eugenides), it was like there was suddeenly this big hole in my life where that big book had been, and every book I picked up to start reading I put down again because it just didn't seem like anything would fill the hole! It's like I had to have a period of mourning or some shit! So I totally get where you're coming from.

By nicegirl512 On 04/06/04  

I can't read depressing/sad books anymore because they affect me too much. And books that have a depressing/sad part in the middle I have to read in one sitting, otherwise I'll go around feeling all suicidal if I've left off in the middle. I can't decide if this is unhealthy or a sign of a vivid imagination.

By stinkycretingrl On 04/06/04  

i thought about _oryx and crake_ for a long, long time after finishing it this past summer. her vision was so saliently realized in the book that it was hard to shake it off afterwards. i wasn't too fascinated/enchanted by the character development. rather i thought more about her vision of what the world will become, with its' extreme division of rich/poor, the animal extinctions, the use of domesticated animals for nauseating ends and of course the environmental implosion. i, actually, couldn't wait to get to the end and finish it to get out of that world. but it lingered. and lingered. i became particularly sensitive to news about pigs/sheep/cows being used for medical advances, like using pigs to grow human skin or whatever. if i see a story like that now it sends a mother lode of cold chills down my back. yup. good book.

By MonkeyMagic On 04/06/04  

When I read Lonesome Dove, I had a hard time letting the characters go. Their world becomes your world.

On another somewhat the same note, except it relates to TV. Friends have always compared me and my guy to Dharma and Greg.(Everyone in one of my classes used to call me Dharma) I had never watched the show until it went into syndication. Now, it (and Scrubs) are the only shows I watch. Kind of an unhealthy thing, I watch the show and compare M. and I to these characters. Of course, I know they are exaggerated...but still.
Oh man, I am a geek!

By SublimeStitcher On 04/06/04  

When I was a little girl and had read Charlotte's Web, after I was finished reading it, I kept my copy open, face down in the middle of the book. I thought she wouldn't die if the book were open at a passage where she was alive.

I wish I could still think things like that!

By seventwelve On 04/06/04  

I get this feeling a lot with books, but I was really happy with Middlesex. I think part of the feeling comes from books that leave you too unfinished. Details that didn't get resolved or revisited, and endings that don't really end, they just stop talking, if that makes sense. Middlesex wrapped up even the loose ends I had forgotten about and felt very ended when I was finished, so I didn't feel as lost.

By Elf_Chick On 04/06/04  

oh yeah, this happens to me.
when an author so carefully weaves an intricate, detailed world and believable characters that have as many flaws as graces, the end of the book is so painful. even when you reread it, it doesn't fill that space.

one book like that for me is The Secret History. One thing the author does is refer casually to different events and then coyly doesn't let you in on them, so you have to imagine them yourself. The book is told from the first person POV of the character Richard, and at some points when he's reminiscing he says things like "What should i tell you?" and offhandedly rattles off a few events but gives no details, so you're wondering about them and maddened by that glimpse.

-S

By kittyroc On 04/06/04  

I get the same way. I'm currently reading a story. Not a book, but actually a VERY well done inuyasha fanfic (yes, I'm an otaku nerd) that I downloaded to my Palm. I've been staying up late reading this and I have to force myself to turn my palm off and go to sleep. Then when I do close my eyes, I start hearing the story in my head and then my brain starts conjuring up how the story will continue.
I'm the same way with any book I read. I always let out a big sigh when I finish a book and I long for more.

gromcocontact infofreelance bbs