You are not logged in [Register] [Login] [Help/FAQ] [Search] [Index]

Topic Ruffled skirts Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By purdykitten On 04/05/04  

Over the weekend I bought a long black skirt from the salvation army and I plan to cut it short and turn it into a cute ruffled sort of skirt. what are some good websites with different types of ruffled skirts?

By abbygirl7 On 04/05/04  

Ruffling skirts is so easy, now that I have done a few. Basically, all you have to do is feed the two fabrics that you are sewing together into the machine, pulling one tight and the other one normal. ohmystars.net has plenty of great tutorials on reconstructing clothes.

One mistake that I made on my first skirt was that I cut the fabrics the same length. bad. Make sure the fabric that you want to ruffle is a lot longer than what you are sewing it onto. The fabric that you are sewing the ruffle onto is the one that you should pull tight.

Hope that helps.
abbygirl

By Polesmoker69 On 04/05/04  

http://www.ohmystars.net/page/crafty/tut-jeans2skirt.gif
>http://www.teengirlclothing.com/sweatshirtskirt.html

two links to get you started!

By nicegirl512 On 04/06/04  

Making a ruffle is easy! If you're making a self ruffle, cut off the fabric from the skirt and then divide that in half (top half, bottom half) or make it whatever length you want if half is too long--keep in mind you need seam allowances for hemming and gathering the ruffle, and that it will be all frilly and not lie flat so it will appear shorter than it is. Take apart the seams of your ruffle pieces and then sew the pieces together to make one long tube (which should be about the double the width of the skirt). Hem one end of the tube, I love the rolled hem foot for this sort of thing. Zig zag the other end. Using the longest stitch on your machine (probably 4), put in two layers of stitching on the zig zagged edge, 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch from the edge. Pull the top thread of each row of stitching to gather until the tube is the width of the skirt. Pin right sides together and sew, gathered side down (using my mom's icky but memorable mnemonic-type saying: "Always sew with a relaxed bottom"). Then turn down the ruffle and press. If the ruffle doesn't want to lie flat, put in a row of stitching on the skirt about 1/4 inch from the seam with the ruffle, catching the gathered/interior part of the ruffle.

By purdykitten On 04/07/04  

yea, i know about the ohmystars and the teen girl clothing ones, I meant a different type of ruffled skirt. not the ones with it just at the bottom, thanks though!

gromcocontact infofreelance bbs