You are not logged in [Register] [Login] [Help/FAQ] [Search] [Index]

Topic What does objects de arte mean? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By VoodooToaster On 04/05/04  

I've seen this several places, but google was not helpful.

By crazybones On 04/05/04  

I thought it was a fancy way of saying "knicknack". I'm not totally sure tho.

edited: found it!

using *d'art as a search. :)

By VoodooToaster On 04/05/04  

I just wondered if that meant it had to be a useful object, like an ashtray or something, instead of just a knicknack.

By crazybones On 04/05/04  

I don't think it has to be functional, just artistic. (kind of guessing though.)

By nicegirl512 On 04/05/04  

It's French, it's spelled "objet d'art" (plural is objets d'art), literally, object of art. This might help you in your google search).

The definition is not useful, it says "An object of artistic merit." Maybe it's a definition of exclusion: anything that's not a painting or sculpture or other type of defined artistic product is an objet d'art.

By researchasaurus On 04/05/04  

Among my circle of friends, "objet d'art" is used rather tongue-in-cheek which is why you might think it means knick-knacks. It is sort of loosely defined though so maybe it really *can* mean knick-knack, but it probably means other things too like small sculptures, etc.

If I'm feeling like making fun of my fellow mid-Americans, I will say "objeckt de art" when describing some kind of tacky little item. But it is pronounced the French way usually.

By jtsang On 04/05/04  

i could be wrong but i thought that an object d'art was something to do with antiques, like a little art deco item or statuette or something you'd bring to the antiques roadshow and they'd comment on it.


gromcocontact infofreelance bbs