You are not logged in [Register] [Login] [Help/FAQ] [Search] [Index]

Topic scented paper? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By melmelon On 03/30/04  

So I want to make some paper...but I want to scent it...I'm thinking of using jasmine oil....seeing as that's what I have. Do I have to do anything special to keep the scent in the mix, iykwim? Will it do anything funky to my finished product?

By whywhyzee On 03/31/04  

I know this isn't quite what you're looking for. I've never made paper from scratch.

But I like to pull the perfume sample papers from magazines and put them into an envelope with notecards or stationary and get scented stationary from that...

By keiko On 03/31/04  

I like this post. I always wondered how you got scented paper after watching "Legally Blonde". :)

By melmelon On 03/31/04  

I've never made paper either...yet....but I have all the scraps waiting for me to get my a** in gear. I usually rub the perufme paper samples on my dog..its either that or bath her, right?

By campgrl On 03/31/04  

i make paper on a regular basis. but since i am allergic to most smelly stuff, i havent even considered senting my paper. but i would think that putting oil into your pulp would probably 1) not mix well - water and oil dont mix 2) may put splotches throughout your paper.
i do have a different idea of how to apply it. you could paint it on the paper after it is dry. you could also spritz it on probably before or after it is dry. that is how i remember perfuming paper long-ago.
let me know what happens so that i can tell my students. i just cant try it myself without dying of sinus problems! i hope this helps. :)

By melmelon On 03/31/04  

hmmmmmm.....I think I'm going to spritz it while it dries.....maybe that will work....and if not I'll try the sachet idea....and if that doesn't work...I'll forget about making stinky paper. I am planning on doing this for Christmas gifts this year for all my (4) sisters.

Any other paper making tips anyone would like to pass on?

By crazybones On 03/31/04  

Can you put something scented in with the paper, like a superstrong semlling sachet in the paper box?

By miche_chan On 03/31/04  

I don't know much about making paper, but I do know a certain amount about oils... so the short answer is you shouldn't paint them on until you test your oil out. If it's not a true essential oil, it will be cut with a vegetable or mineral oil and that will stain your paper. If it's a true esssential oil, you won't want to paint it on because true jasmine costs a lot of money!

My suggestion if you don't have a true oil would be to blot 2 drops onto a paper towel, let it saturate the towel as much as it is going to, then place in a ziploc bag with your handmade paper.

If you have a true essential oil, put about 2 drops in about 10ml of vodka, shake it really, really well and lightly mist your paper. If you have a atomiser that would be best. It might leave a faint mark though, I can't guarantee that it won't.

*taking the aromatherapist's hat off, putting the craftor hat back on*,
Miche

By melmelon On 03/31/04  

yea, well, I am far to cheap to even buy the jasmine eo...(I ended up using the fo in some candles tonight, so I think I need to figure out a different "stink" for my paper), but thanks for the insight on oils...I was thinking to do the vodka and vanilla bean thing, since I don't use vanilla extract..(for more candles, but probably will see how it goes with the paper).

gromcocontact infofreelance bbs