You are not logged in [Register] [Login] [Help/FAQ] [Search] [Index]

Topic bra measurements Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By naturegirl On 03/30/04  

can any of you recommend a good (accurate) website that either explains how to measure for a bra, or that you can put your numbers in and have them automatically output your size?

i've tried three or four different websites, and my bra size comes out different on on each website, ranging from a b cup all the way to a dd cup.

thanks in advance :-)

By ookpik On 03/30/04  

oh man. i LIVE for bra fitting. i'm a weird size and it has converted me to a total bra geek!

nobody seems to agree on whether you find your cup size by subtracting from your bust measurement your band size or your actual rib measurement, so that might account for your wild variations. most guides advise adding 5 or 6 inches to your ribs to find your band size, and that is a lot of cup inches!

i've always this system, which i know is at odds with all the "add 5 inches" advice out there, but works for me : measure ribs, measure fullest part of bust. each inch in difference is a cup size starting at 1=AA and the rib measurement is your band (try next higher or lower band size if you end up on an odd number).

but. manufacturers and styles all fit slightly differently, the same as shoes. i think it is more important to try these tests with any bras you try on:

-drop the straps off your shoulders. the band should not move. straps are not meant to hold the bra up. if the band moves it is too loose.

-check the back. the band should not ride up; it should stay level with the front or dip down a bit. if it rides up it is too loose, and/or you need a more supportive style.

-the bra should sit flat against your chest between the cups. if it pulls away the cups are too small (and band might be too big).

-if you're overflowing the cups or the straps are digging into your shoulders, try loosening the straps before going up a cup size.

-wrinkly or gappy cups are obviously too big.

-straps that don't stay up might need shortening, or indicate a band or cups that are too big.

i hope that helps. sorry it doesn't point to any official guide, but i find that official bra guides all suck. they usually tell me i'm a size 36 band, when i am almost too small for a 32. then there's the B to FF predictions.

By gdavid3039 On 03/30/04  

[deleted]

By gdavid3039 On 03/30/04  

[deleted]

By naturegirl On 03/31/04  

thanks for all the tips (and websites)! i'm off to measure myself again, hopefully for the last time for a while :-)

By knittykat On 03/31/04  

Why not go to Victoria's Secret and let them fit you? They measure you and give you a bunch of bras to try and then you can tell them what works.

By caropop On 03/31/04  

I wouldn't rely on bra sizing by measuring, especially over the internet--most of these sites seem to agree that I should wear a 42A.

They can't tell me though, where I might buy a 42A.

I'd rely on a good saleslady and lot of trial and error.

By luckychere On 03/31/04  

I have NEVER gotten accurate results from the various add 5 methods. I've done it about 800 times, and it always ends up saying that I'm about an A cup, which is ridiculous, because I'm about a C.

By ookpik On 03/31/04  

"it always ends up saying that I'm about an A cup, which is ridiculous, because I'm about a C."

my problem exactly! besides which, it isn't like there is an international standard bra size committee that ensures an A is an A. it isn't like we're dealing with metric units here. my best hope for fitting guides is to find a good size with which to start my trial and error.

By grrrlcore On 03/31/04  

The best bra fiting advice I ever got was don't go by the size label, if it fits it fits.
Which is why I have bras from a 36FF to a 40 DD, (I am officially a 38E).

The actual shape of the bra has an effect too, I have rounded boobs , some women have more pointy ones. If I wear a bra for pointy women I fall out, if my pointy boobed sister wears a rounded cup bra it is too full in some places and bags in other not matter what size she tries.

By grrrlcore On 03/31/04  

The best bra fiting advice I ever got was don't go by the size label, if it fits it fits.
Which is why I have bras from a 36G to a 40 DD, (I am officially a 38f).

The actual shape of the bra has an effect too, I have rounded boobs , some women have more pointy ones. If I wear a bra for pointy women I fall out, if my pointy boobed sister wears a rounded cup bra it is too full in some places and bags in other not matter what size she tries.

By grrrlcore On 03/31/04  

Just like my boobs in a cheap bras I overflowed and created double post (as opposed to double boob)

By good.disaster On 04/01/04  

i had to post because my quest to find one that fits and is comfortable is neverending.

i've tried nearly every suggested method i can find. i've been fitted at victoria's secret 3 times -- 2 stores, 3 people, 3 results. (btw, none of those fit and felt comfortable no matter what style i tried.)

i just know that all that "add 5 inches" business is bullshit. so far, all band sizes i'ved tried with a number larger than my rib measurement have been too big.

as i'm typing this and conducting further research, i just stumbled upon an article in a student magazine for a university in canada.>http://www.ausu.org/voice/archives/archivelist.php
if you want to have a look, it's in volume 11, issues 3 and 4.

it mentioned a method and a calculator at afraidtoask.com, which i tried because she complained about them yielding different results. i just wanted to see if it was still screwy since it was written over a year ago. the instructions tell me 38c, but the calculator says... 38g. after measuring my ribs again, i decided to add an allowance...just in case. so i added another inch. instructions: 40a. calculator: 40ddd/f. there's no way in hell they'd fill a 40ddd.

anyway, it did mention a method developed by a plastic surgeon named edward pechter. the link in the article doesn't work, but i found it here: http://www.breastreduction4you.com/bra_sizing.htm
it still recommends adding 4" for an even rib measurement/5" for odd, but i still don't like that whole idea.

i have hope for his cup size method. i tried measuring the cups from a few bras, and they were pretty consistent with the chart. i also noticed that if i subtracted my bust measurement from rib measurement (rounded up to 34") using the standard charts to determine cup size, i'm on the larger end of the cup size... the same cup size i come up with using pechter's method. i'm going to give that a shot, but stick with my rib measurement for the band size... now i just need to find a 34ddd.

By pixielily On 04/03/04  

i was recently fitted for bras at a department store; the woman's nametag actually said "fitter" on it. she did the measurements, came up with the numbers, and then explained that it's "just a starting point." she brought me about 30 bras to try on, in a range of cup/band sizes...i ended up buying 4, ranging from 36-38, and D-DD, and they all fit perfectly. it all depends on the style of the bra. SO, no matter what size you decide you are, you should remember that it's only a guide, and try smaller/larger cups & bands to get a perfect fit.

By rhinokey On 04/03/04  

I've had good results using this site's measuring system:>http://www.figleaves.com/us/sizing/sizing_guide.asp
They 'standardise' the measurements across all the brands, so when you order a 34B, you get a bra that will fit, even if the label shows a different size. Apparently, bras made by American manufacturers measure larger than the Italian or French ones. Anyway, it seems to work.

Liz x

By ookpik On 04/03/04  

re: figleaves.com

just piping up that while i love figleaves for bra selection in non-standard sizes, i don't find their standardized sizes eliminate trial and error. and their sizing guidelines are way out to lunch, for me. all of this must vary by woman.

another good site for bigger band and cup sizes is http://bravissimo.com

By mgdriver On 04/04/04  

i vote for the try on a million method! while some of the specifics mentioned certainly point to fit problems, there are other variables. the 2 things i have to check are: how close together are the cups, and where are the straps attached on the cup- way out near the armpits never works for me, they need to be centered over the nipple line.

By CraftinFool On 04/07/04  

I went to JC Penney's a few weeks ago - they had a promotion where they would do a bra measurement. The results came out that the size I thought I was and that I wear is what she measured me as. So at least I knew I was in the ballpark.

She seconded the notion that bras are so different fro each other that you may take a different size depending on the bra and you have to just try on a bunch. I was hoping that was not the case but alas it is. I'd rather poke my eye out with a stick than spend a day in a hot department store trying on a zillion bras. ):

gromcocontact infofreelance bbs