Looking for Glitter Boards? They now live on Supernaturale!

You are not logged in [Register] [Login] [Help/FAQ] [Search] [Index]

Topic Image Quality Help! Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By paperdreams On 03/28/04  

It was recently pointed out to me that the product thumbnails on my site (http://www.craftsburykids.com) are huge, and that I need to lower the image quality so that people with dial-up will be able to see them before getting so tired of waiting that they leave. Does anyone know how I can best do this using Photoshop?
Thanks much!
-Cecilia

By plainmabel On 03/28/04  

I wouldn't say that they're huge in file size (about 15K give or take) but you could probably get them down to about 5K a piece or less and still maintain decent quality. Open them up in Photoshop and go to File>Save for Web. In the large dialog box that appears, select JPEG and then use the Quality slider to reduce the quality (you'll see a preview of what the reduced quality version will look like, or click the 2Up tab at the top to see the original versus the reduced quality version). Usually about 50-60 on the slider will give you a good compromise between size and quality (you can see the resulting file size in the lower left of the window).

By paperdreams On 03/28/04  

Thanks! I'm going to give it a try.

By ursonate On 03/28/04  

You can defeinitely make your graphics file sizes smaller by going down to the pixel level and making sure everything that the colors are all web safe and that there are as few being used as possible. This can be a lot of painstaking work and looking at things at 800% is no fun, but they will be smaller and sharper.

Also you might want to make the graphics gifs while leaving the photos jpegs.

By ookpik On 03/29/04  

ursonate, a faster way to force an image to web colors in photoshop is to go to image>mode>indexed.

set "colors" to 256 (or fewer) and set "force" to the web palette.

then at least you have fewer adjustments to make in 800% view.

gromcocontact infofreelance bbs