You are not logged in [Register] [Login] [Help/FAQ] [Search] [Index]

Topic another resin question - surface? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By antigone On 03/28/04  

I made my first attempt at resin jewelry about a week ago and it turned out kind of good. However, what should the surface of the hardened resin be like? Mine is hard and not sticky but I can still make a dent in it which will then smooth itself out. Normal?

By CraftyChicaAZ On 03/28/04  

no. not normal! make sure you mix equal parts to the "T" and then stir it like crazy until it looks like well, snot - all bubbly and cloudly. that's the only way i can describe it. it will clear up to a glass like finish and use a skinny drinking straw to blow out any bubbles. it shoul harden rock solid. hope that helps!

By flipper On 03/30/04  

I agree... however it also depends on the kind of resin that you are using. Above is correct if using Envirotex (mix 1/2 & 1/2 kind). If it doesn't harden after 2 days, it's not going to. Possible mess-ups are not measuring exactly OR not stirring enough (I stir until I think it's done, then stir some more).

HOWEVER, if you are using the kind of casting resin that you mix a large part to a few drops of catalyst, I have experienced the need to dry for a looooong time. I thought I had a ruined batch because of the ability of leaving marks, but 3 weeks later, they were perfect!

AND, regarding both kinds... make sure you are pouring in the right temperature zone. I've poured in too cool of an environment with bad results.

Wear your respirator!! -flip

gromcocontact infofreelance bbs