You are not logged in [Register] [Login] [Help/FAQ] [Search] [Index]

Topic anyone know a killer carrot cake recipe? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By rubychew On 03/25/04  

...must have carrot cake...but want to make my own.

Want something out of this world.....

By robs On 03/25/04  

This may not be quite what you are looking for but I made a mental-note last night to try these
>http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=109346&kw=carrot+cake&action=filtersearch&filter=recipe-filter.hts&collection=Recipes&ResultTemplate=recipe-results.hts&queryType=and&keyword=carrot+cake&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=submit

inside-out carrot cake cookies...

if the link doesn't work just look up "carrot cake" at http://www.epicurious.com/

Otherwise, I depend on "The Cake Bible" for all my out-of-this-world cake recipes

By guttergrrl On 04/05/04  

My favorite carrot cake recipe can be found on epicurious. It's in cupcake form, though. It's from an issue of Gourmet from 1999, I think. It doesn't have raisins, but I think it couldn't hurt to add them if you like them. Heed the recipe reviews and decrease the oil by about half. And they're best if they have a chance to rest for a day before eating. There's a recipe that goes along with it for a gingered cream creese frosting that's out of this world. yum!
>http://tinyurl.com/3b8tu

--kelly

By reusecrafter On 03/25/04  

I've got it!!! I've been making this since I was a kid (literally), so really over 25 years. It is very quick and easy, the hardest part is grating the carrots, but super easy with the food processor. It is also very moist from the pineapple, and has been a hit even with those who don't usually like carrot cake (the typical complaint is that it's too dry). Great with Cream Cheese Frosting.

This recipe is from an ancient orange Betty Crocker Cookbook of my mother's, no longer available. I included the original frosting, but I like one that is very simple and delicious: Beat 1 8oz brick of cream cheese with 1/2 C. powdered sugar, and fold in an 8oz container of Cool Whip. Great on many other cakes, too, like Banana or Orange.

CARROT AND PINEAPPLE CAKE

1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. soda
2/3 c. salad oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 c. finely chopped carrots
1/2 c. pineapple with syrup

Sift dry ingredients together, then add rest of ingredients. Mix until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Bake in greased and floured pan (9 x 9 x 2 inch) at 350 degrees about 35 minutes.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

1 (3 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. chopped pecans (optional)
Mix cream cheese, butter, and vanilla. Beat at low speed until light. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. (Add milk if necessary to make spreadable.) Frosts one 8 or 9 inch cake.

By Polesmoker69 On 03/25/04  

sorry but i have to ask, ,is the orange cookbook, a huge orange binder?? cause my mom has the same one, she got it when my mom and dad got married! 20 years ago!

By yardenxanthe On 03/25/04  

The BEST carrot cake I've ever had is made from the pulp of carrots after you juice them with one of those juicers -- fantastic! My husband doesn't like carrot cake, but he likes this carrot cake:

Recipe:
5 to 8 carrots, or enough to produce 1-1/2 cups carrot pulp and 1/2 cup carrot juice
1 cup flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup oil
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla

cream cheese frosting: beat cream cheese with powdered sugar and vanilla

directions:
Oven 350

Process carrots in juice extractor to produce pulp and carrot juice.

Mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together and set aside. Combine eggs, sugar, and oil in medium bowl. Add flour mixture alternately with pulp and carrot juice. Add vanilla and chopped nuts; stir to combine. Pour into well-greased 9-inch baking pan; bake 35-40 minutes.

When cake cools, sprinkle with powdered sugar or frost with cream cheese frosting.

This is sooo yummy. If you have a juicer you should try it.

By reusecrafter On 04/05/04  

Hmmm, polesmoker, you are making me feel old, lol. No, the orange cookbook isn't a big binder, it was just a hardback cookbook. The thing is, I have a big binder cookbook that's Red & White Checked (Better Homes & Gardens), that I got when I first got married . . . well, 20 years ago (umm, marriage #1 anyway)roflmao.

The truly ancient orange one is from when *my* mom first got married, almost 40 years ago! They do have the Orange Betty Crocker Cookbook still, and it certainly could be in binder form now, but back in the 80's they reformatted it -- probably to make stuff more low fat or something -- and they took out that original Carrot Pineapple Cake recipe.

Ahh, what a tragedy to realize how old I am <sigh>
:)

By favorgrl On 04/05/04  

Yummm. I was thinking about making a carrot cake the other day. Now I don't have the excuse of not having a good recipe.

What is salad oil?

favorgrl

By nicegirl512 On 04/05/04  

I use this one from allrecipes.com
>http://cake.allrecipes.com/az/BstCrrtCkEvr.asp

Reduce the sugar by about half, do half oil/half applesauce, and add LOTS more spices (ginger, cinammon, cloves, allspice, dash of nutmeg) than suggested. I also do half whole wheat flour. Oh, and I'm allergic to walnuts so I leave those out, and I don't see the point of raisins so I leave those out too. With these changes, it truly is one of the best carrot cakes ever. I usually do a half recipe and make it cupcakes. Best served room temperature.

Frost with cream cheese frosting:

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons milk
4 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

By favorgrl On 04/05/04  

I just made the cake from Allrecipes.com that Nicegirl512 posted and it was very tasty. I recommend that one.

favorgrl

By sunkissedmiss On 04/06/04  

mm, sounds good! I want to make some this week, but I have a question:

How well does carrot cake freeze? I know that it's possible to freeze cake - never tried it, but I've seen frozen cakes in the store, ones you defrost and eat. I'm afraid that if I make the cake and don't freeze it, it'll be devoured too quickly :).

hmm, maybe I could make the cupcakes and freeze 'em?

gromcocontact infofreelance bbs