You are not logged in [Register] [Login] [Help/FAQ] [Search] [Index]

Topic I'm Infringed! Yay! Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By SublimeStitcher On 03/24/04  

Okay, the kind ladies of glitter have brought it to my attention that the name Sublime Stitching is being used on another website without any association to me.

I probably wouldn't have found it on my own. More than anything, I find its usage confusing.

My first step was to write them and CC my lawyer:

To whom it may concern,

It was brought to my attention that 'Sublime Stitching' is being used on
blahblah.com. This is a registered trademark for which I gave no permission
to blahblah.com.

Please see my legal info here:>http://www.sublimestitching.com/legal.html

As a courtesy, I am contacting blahblah.com personally before I ask that my
lawyer address this. A prompt reply is appreciated.

best,
Jenny Hart

owner / designer
--
Sublime Stitching>http://www.SublimeStitching.com
PO Box 15130, Austin, TX 78761

I'll post back when I hear from them. If I don't hear from them by week's end, I'll ask my lawyer to contact them.

This is not a boo-hiss thread, but instead I'll post what this experience is like, what I end up doing about it, how they respond..etc, etc. You can live the experience of trademark infringement vicariously through me.

By plainmabel On 03/24/04  

Ugh, what a mess! Hopefully all will be resolved quickly and without major incident! You handled the letter very well, pointing out the problem but not pointing fingers, especially since this could have just been a misunderstanding. I had a similar misunderstanding lately where a photo was used by a competing site without my permission, but it all got resolved very quickly and easily, no harm done. Most people are reasonable and will just fix it rather than deal with the mess of taking it further in terms of lawyers and all that.

By SublimeStitcher On 03/24/04  

They wrote me back and said all references would be removed within 24 hours. Nice 'n easy. Good for them.

Still I wrote my lawyer to ask if I should have handled it any differently, to make him aware of the situation...etc.

I just think it's weird. They can't not be aware of my site, especially since I've contacted them before for product consideration.

eta: Some people have contacted me worried that I'm referring to their site, where they're using my logo to talk about my work, or profile me...that's great! Please don't take those down! I love that kind of exposure....<:))

This instance is a retailer who has a page on their site of embroidered baby goods and at the top is a large graphic that says 'Sublime Stitching' but none of it is my work, refers to my website or anything....*that's* the problem...

By Snufkin On 03/25/04  

I love how the Glitter network is able to catch things like that! It's like competetive intelligence or something.

And with all the experience you're getting, you could teach a workshop on copyright and trademark law for small business owners.

By CraftyChicaAZ On 03/25/04  

I think you took the right steps. I found two high school girls who were using crafty chica for their site, so i sent them a letter and they took it down asap too. usually people are pretty nice about it. good thing you are staying on top of that!!!

gromcocontact infofreelance bbs