Looking for Glitter Boards? They now live on Supernaturale!

You are not logged in [Register] [Login] [Help/FAQ] [Search] [Index]

Topic smooth talkin' tips? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By ookpik On 03/23/04  

i do all my work on the internet and rarely talk to live people in a business context, but tomorrow i have an appointment to phone someone about advertising with me.

me: panic! terror!

rationally speaking, i can probably rise to the occasion, but does anybody want to offer tips for sales phone calls? or just tell me something in a calm, soothing tone?

By amphoteric On 03/24/04  

i feel your pain. :D

one of the few useful tips i picked up from conventional business books is that, before making a phone call, it really helps to write down a script for the call. obviously, you don't want to sound like you're reading it, but i know i've panicked when trying to ask to speak to someone, just not finding the right words, and having the words in front of me really, really helps. once things either go well or go badly, it's easier to just get on with it, but the other bits derail me pretty easily.

(and when i say script, i mean down to the 'hello'! for the factual bits, bullet points seem to be enough.)

best of luck with it!

xoxo
lisa

By yardenxanthe On 03/24/04  

I second the script. I even write down my phone number & address because you know... when you're on the spot, you never know what you might forget.

By plainmabel On 03/24/04  

If not a script, at least use a thorough outline of points you want to cover and in the correct order. Also, before the call try to consider some of the totally out-there questions you might be asked. Especially if the people you'll be talking with aren't as savvy about the topic as you are, you may get some strange questions or have to explain things a little differently than you normally would.

By ookpik On 03/24/04  

thanks folks. i'm off to make some bullet points and dial the number ( aka pull the trigger-- ahhhh!).

By ookpik On 03/24/04  

ok, one more tip i thankfully thought of right before dialing:

use the bathroom first. nerves do funny things to you.

i think the phone call went pretty well. possibly even profitably.

gromcocontact infofreelance bbs