Looking for Glitter Boards? They now live on Supernaturale!

You are not logged in [Register] [Login] [Help/FAQ] [Search] [Index]

Topic beaded jeans-where to buy or make? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Anonymous_Jade On 03/23/04  

Hey I wanted this pair of beaded jeans on roamans.com only to find out that they're discontinued (but yet still on the website), anyway I've been unable to find any under $50 and look cool. Does anyone know where I can look or if there isn't anywhere to look, does anyone have any advice on the beading process, I'M DETERMINED TO HAVE A BEADED PAIR OF JEANS!! I'm not a beader so any advice would help.

anonymous_jade

By Polesmoker69 On 03/23/04  

which ones at that site?

By ursonate On 03/23/04  

You will want to practice on a piece of denim first.

Too bad they don't let you get real close to see what's going on, but it looks pretty simple. i wonder about washing them though...

By lizzymahoney On 03/24/04  

Anything I've beaded that I want to wash is turned inside out for the process. Hand wash or gentle cycle.

It would help to see the ones you are talking about.

By ursonate On 03/24/04  

just type in 'beaded jeans' in the search box

By lizzymahoney On 03/24/04  

http://www.roamans.com/roamans/product/product.asp?pf_id=41986&search_token=1&

It's not all that hard to post a link. It is presumptuous to think that the rest of us have the time to search to answer someone else's question.

Okay.

The beading is done with some shortcuts, I'm sure. First, use a fusible interfacing under the area to be beaded. It adds stability and may prevent fraying.

Some of the stones could be studded with something like a bedazzler, or with patience and a pair of needlenose pliers.

The vinework in beads is most likely a couched string of pony beads. You would want to knot the string every couple of beads and then sew a loop of thread over it to tack it down. Not necessarily between every bead, but pretty close. Two, three beads, maybe.

Save yourself a little heartache and sew the bead clusters together first, then tack down on the garment securely.

Plastic beads will stand up to machine washing better. You don't want to tumble dry stone or glass or plastic, at least not without a few bath towels for cushioning.

By ursonate On 03/25/04  

I am such the bead snob. All I can think is plastic, yuck!

There's a pretty good book called Beaded Embellishment by Amy C. Clark and someone else whose name I suddenly can't remember. It's on Amazon. I like their technique for bead embroidery.

By Anonymous_Jade On 03/25/04  

http://www.roamans.com/roamans/product/product.asp?pf_id=41978&dept_id=709&rootdept=610&parent_id=704&

They're pretty detailed. What kinds of beads do you recommend to use. The longer skinny ones? Once again not a beader.

anonymous_jade

By lizzymahoney On 03/27/04  

Those are different than the ones I found. Hmmm, they are more embellished embroidery than beaded, though.

Most of the lines are made with embroidery as far as I can tell. I can see some of the sequins used, but I'd probably stay away from them or use metal studs in place of them. Kinda like ursonate, I don't really care for plastic, and sequins really don't hold up to washing over and over.

You are probably referring to bugle beads when you ask about the longer skinnier ones. Nope, I don't see any in the pic, but could be wrong. However, you are going to make your own design anyhow, right? So you could incorporate bugle beads on the straighter lines. It takes serious effort to bead with bugle beads around a curve.

I'd bet they used seed beeds with sequins in a few areas and the rest is embroidery.

By Anonymous_Jade On 04/01/04  

You suggested to use some sort of applique on the back to make it stronger. Would that be best done first and the beading over that or do my beading and cover everthing with the applique after I'm done. I think that might make more sense because them I don't have knots rubbing on my legs and it would make it more sturdy.

anonymous_jade

By lizzymahoney On 04/01/04  

Nope, apply iron-on interfacing first. You won't need it on heavier denim, but the weight of the beads will make lighter weight denim sag eventually and faster without interfacing.

If you apply it after, you will probably destroy your work. Really. I've tried that with embroidery of other types before, and it can pucker the fabric in just the wrong places because of the added dimension on the beaded side.

If the knots bother you, and I doubt it if you do it very much like your link, you can sew in interfacing after the fact. It won't support your beadwork, but will be smoother on your legs.

gromcocontact infofreelance bbs