Looking for Glitter Boards? They now live on Supernaturale!

You are not logged in [Register] [Login] [Help/FAQ] [Search] [Index]

Topic New York City Ballet Workout..and amazon Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Alicewonderland On 03/18/04  

I reaaaally want this DVD...I'm lusting after it *laugh* Does amazon.com take paypal? I think It'd be a good place to spend fifteen dollars...

Anyone ever tried it?

By kickarse On 03/18/04  

I don't think Amazon takes paypal, as far as I know, but I have the New York City Ballet workout tape, and I really like it! It's basically a barre workout without the barre (grande battements, tendus, etc.), a lengthy section is what they call floor barre - lots of abdominal exercises and leg exercises, and a few little jumps at the end. I wish there were more dance combinations, but I still like it.

There's a sequel too, which I keep meaning to get.

By Xuli On 03/18/04  

I have the book and like it. Didn't know there was a DVD ... hmmm ... Definitely tell us if you get it and what you think of it!

By MlleEmily On 03/19/04  

I did the New York City Ballet Workout at a gym- it was pretty fun, and pretty funny! It was quite hard, both for my brain because I had to learn the steps, and for my body cos it was TOUGH! But I was laughing most of the time too so that got me through.

I liked the fact that you have to kind of make it 'look good' in a way that you don't have to in other classes so much- it seemed to make you more aware of correct form.

I have never been back, but that was because I was just visiting the gym. But I would do it again if I had the chance.

By Alicewonderland On 03/19/04  

I had a freind order it for me so I'll tell you how it goes. I'm using it to augument my current ballet training, so that puts a new spin on it.

By garnetta On 03/19/04  

I have it on video and I really like it. One of the things that irritates me the most about workout videos is the cheesy music (that you hear daily and get stuck in your head) and the faux-cheery instructors. The NYCB video has none of that! It's very inspirational, I think...I'd rather look like a ballerina than some stuck-in-the-80s aerobics freak. Love it...and it improves your posture. It takes a few times doing it to catch all the combos. I did ballet for about 15 years so it all came back to me. Once I did it a few times, I could stop focusing on the step progression and start focusing on my form.

I hope you enjoy it too!

By rhinokey On 03/19/04  

I got it at Christmas and I like it a lot, though it can be difficult to do the whole floor barre routine when my dog insists on jumping on me and joining in!

If you're already taking ballet it might be a bit repetitive for you, but I suppose it's a good way to make sure you're training all the right muscle groups that you need for dancing.

I found it has improved my technique and the length of time I can hold certain asanas in yoga (eg locust and sphinx, which require back and stomach muscle strength), so I'm definitely reaping the benefits of all the core muscle exercises. I think my thighs look more toned too, but that might be wishful thinking :)

As someone already mentioned, it's nice not to have to look at some annoyingly perky aerobics instructor dancing around to cheesy music. On the DVD there's a choice of classical or contemporary music, so when you get bored of one you can switch, and the dancers are so beautifully toned and athletic, you don't get tired of watching them. I would recommend viewing each section before you attempt it, as the commentary can be a bit confusing the first time around.

All in all, two pointed toes up from me. It's a fun way to tone your muscles while pretending to be more graceful than you really are.

Liz x

By nicegirl512 On 03/19/04  

I think you ladies have inspired me to get this DVD! I have a small living room, how much space does it take?

By trishie On 03/19/04  

I liked it also! I borrowed it from Netflix for a while, so keep in mind that's an option if you subscribe.

By girl.unsung On 03/19/04  

Ohhhh, I want! It thrills me that it has a long floor barre segment... I LOVE floor barre -- it has really helped my turnout, and it's also helping with my knee problems.

By nicegirl512 On 04/01/04  

I got the DVD (actually NYCBW 2 because the Amazon reviewers said it was basically the same workout as the first one but with better production values and instruction) and tried it last night. I am sad to say that I am fairly disappointed. :( This is not a video for people who are already fit. I didn't break a sweat for the entire first hour, it's just gentle strength exercises. The allegro was challenging simply because I'm so horrible at ballet. It was good quality cardio, but the section is not long enough to get a decent sustained increased heart rate for long enough to count as a real workout.

So, my advice: if you're looking to get started with an exercise program, this will be excellent for you. It's a great foundation to a comprehensive strength training program. If you already work out five times a week and want variety in your workout program, this is not for you.

By bonnell99 On 04/02/04  

I have it and love it.

I disagree that it's not for people who are already physcially fit. Just because you're not breaking a sweat doesn't mean you're not working. Look at pilates and yoga--very similar principles going on here. Stretching and strength are what they're focusing on.

It's not a cardio video, nor is it advertised as one.

By nicegirl512 On 04/02/04  

bonnell99-You're definitely right that you don't have to break a sweat to work out and freely admit that I am a cardio addict. However, even given that caveat and speaking only in a strength-training context, I just didn't find it challenging, and was not sore *anywhere* the next day. Usually the first time you try a new workout of any kind you feel it the next day. I felt nothing.

I'm definitely not knocking the video because it was really good, I'm just saying it's not for everyone. I really wanted to like it. I was so excited to get it. I thought it was something I'd put into heavy rotation. I don't want others to be as disappointed as I was.

By Jesser On 04/01/04  

Hey ... if anyone does decide to buy this or the sequel, will you send me the "coupon" if you get the chance?

jmkafer@yahoo.com

By modforpretend On 04/01/04  

how do any of you who have previous ballet training feel about it? is it a good supplement to being in a real class? I love ballet (especially barre and floor barre excercises) but can't afford classes at the moment and could use a workout besides what I get at my job (lifting wine boxes and racks of cheeses and breads). Would this be a good alternative?

By modforpretend On 04/02/04  

bumpity bump!

gromcocontact infofreelance bbs