You are not logged in [Register] [Login] [Help/FAQ] [Search] [Index]

Topic Home business vs. Store front Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By siacircus On 03/17/04  

I am getting ready to make the move to "officially" starting my photography business (getting licensed, a tax ID #, printing up lit, etc.) However, I'm finding that just to *apply* for a home business permit, the township wants to charge me $100!!! Just so I can say, yes, I have a photography business, and my equipment lives at my house! UGH!! I don't plan on doing anything at my home, other than bookwork stuff, and PhotoShop-ing photos, etc. Nothing that would disturb anyone. Has anyone else run into this? If I work from home and don't get the licensing/permit thing then I really can't advertise, get a phone book listing, etc.

My other choice is to get a store front. Okay, at this point, I don't want to spend the money on something I don't expect I would really be getting much return on. A friend had an idea though, and I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this/done this, and would I be "okay" as far as the city/township permit people are concerned? Here's the idea: I have friends that own a good sized business in our town. My friend thinks I should sign a "contract" with them to rent "space" from them (thus, my official place of business) for some nominal non-amount of money so that I can avoid all the home business crap. Would I be able to pull this off? Would I be in major trouble with the powers that be if they show up to "inspect" my business or whatever, and I'm not there, no real business (of mine) evident, etc? What do I do? I have clients starting to reserve me for events this summer and I need to make a move soon, so that all the paperwork is in place in time.


By plainmabel On 03/18/04  

I think it's worth it to just go ahead and get the permit, even if it is kind of pricey. Like you said, you'll need it in order to advertise locally and get a phone book listing. Plus it will be helpful if you want to add a rider to your renter's or homeowner's policy to protect your equipment. I think my town's permit was like $25 or something, it really varies from town to town but they have you over a barrel -- it's something that you should definitely have since you want to be legit.

By siacircus On 03/25/04  

Thanks for your input, plainmabel. I really do feel like they have me over a barrel. I'm hoping the hoops don't take too long to jump through.

By KittenCndy On 03/25/04  

I say definately get the permit. When I got my license ($175 in Atlatnic City) they sent an inspecter to my house to verify everything before it was given to me. He documented what and how much equipment I had (computer, fax, copier etc.)

gromcocontact infofreelance bbs