You are not logged in [Register] [Login] [Help/FAQ] [Search] [Index]

Topic new and in Florida Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By waverly On 01/08/04  

anyone nearby?

By senorcoconut On 01/09/04  

Florida is a big state.
What area?

By pixelpusher On 01/13/04  

Was thinking the same...
Im in Oviedo- just outside Orlando... how bout yall?

ETA: Kinda funny.. just looked at both of your profiles- one says N. Fl the other S, and I am in Central... heh...

By senorcoconut On 01/14/04  

I lived in Orlando when I was in college and I worked for Disney. Now I live in the WPB area.

By Spaniella On 01/15/04  

I am from WPB! but I live in brooklyn now.

By anu_68 On 01/15/04  

I'm in West Palm

By mazelpants On 01/20/04  

central florida

By senorcoconut On 01/20/04  

Where in Central Florida?

By britchic On 01/20/04  

I'm in clearwater, but have lived up and down the state for a while.

By mazelpants On 01/21/04  

orlando

By senorcoconut On 01/21/04  

Wahhhh! I miss Orlando! I even miss Kissimmee...sometimes.

By butterflytwish On 01/22/04  

i'm in jacksonville. but not for long! ha ha! :)

damn, i miss orlando, though. there are a lot more orlando-ans now on glitter than there used to be...

-tricia

By senorcoconut On 01/22/04  

Since we don't live there anymore, can we wax nostalgic and sugarcoat our time in Orlando?

Like how there was NEVER any traffic driving up and down 192 between John Young and 535?

Or how I-Drive always took less than 10 minutes to get from place to place? Especially on Saturday nights? Between the Central Florida Pkwy and the Universal area?
Oh, and if you needed to stop at a fast food place that tourists frequent they didn't cheat and up the 99 cent menu to 1.49?
The following streets were always free and clear of accidents: Fairbanks, Colonial, Goldenrod, the Beeline, Kirkman, Curry Ford, Conroy, Hiawassee, Ivanhoe, Sand Lake....?
The Monsters of the Midday? No, wait. I don't miss them.
But I do miss Real Music Weekends.
I miss O Boys BBQ.
I miss eating at Disney's restaurants for 50% off every year at Christmas (Cast member perk--one of the only ones).
I miss Jungle Jim's and the little plastic animals and mermaids in the drinks.
I miss Gooding's and their damned overpriced stuff and shitty selection...but with FOUNTAINS in the lobby (the Crossroads) and Chinese animatronic children and a panda bear singing (Splendid China shopping center)!
I miss Old Town.
I miss the big orange on 192.
I miss Church Street...sometimes.
I miss hanging out for hours at Virgin and then heading over to a vendor for some Italian Ice, writing dirty messages on the Zen Board at Hoy Poloi, and then watching a movie with a thousand tourists at AMC.
I miss the guy with the parrots at Pointe Orlando near Armani Exchange.
I miss the chick who sings The Girl From Ipanema at TuTu Tango.
I miss the college radio days with the kick ass concerts at Rollins (mid 90s).
I miss the soapy faux snow at Celebration.
I miss having an empty theatre at the Celebration movie theatres (sshhh...it's a secret).
I miss the four corners. Having two Publixes within a few miles of each other, in different counties. One in Orange, where all the tourists went and one in Lake, where all the locals went.
Don't miss having both of them long distance to call, though.
I miss walking out my front door and seeing Animal Kingdom's Tree of Life (This is when I lived on the western end of Kissimmee).

By senorcoconut On 01/26/04  

Yea, verily! I have killed the thread!

By palestar On 01/27/04  

coco - no you didn't! I never lived in Orlando and I'm starting to miss it.

i've been in miami for about 6 months and i'm not to sure how hip i am on it. i really like vacationing here, but there's something that just isn't clicking! maybe i just need to give it more time. *sigh*

By Spaniella On 01/27/04  

Do you guys in FL have a hard time meeting people? I am from wpb originally though I live in brooklyn now. I LOOOOOVE florida, so much. I relish every minute that I am home. But the couple of times I have lived there (after college) I found it near impossible to meet cool people (besides scrounging from high school people). My sister moved there a year or so ago also (from california) and she is miserable. Is there a secret group of cool young people? or is it all about the close knit family groups?

By senorcoconut On 01/27/04  

I'll meet you if you come back to WPB. I'm not a Palm Beach snob. I'm one of the lost hipsters here.

By Spaniella On 01/27/04  

aw! thanks! I hope I get to go home soon.
It's funny, over xmas, I went to La Salsa (that place MAKES city place!) with my sister, and there was this cute guy at the end of the counter, he was all in a too-small tshirt and stuff. My sister and her friend (who are both 30 and live in wpb) immediately noticed him because there arent a lot of cute young guys in wpb (their/our age). Needless to say he totally was there with this group of high school kids. He was probably like 17 or something. Most of the guys in their 20s and 30s have a whole yuppie/hair gel thing goin' on.

By senorcoconut On 01/27/04  

What? Cheesecake Factory makes Cityplace, chica!
Oh, wait. I am not 60 years old yet. Never mind.
Good old FAO is going out of business. With the crappy service I got there once and the 60-75% markup I can't say I will miss it.

By mazelpants On 02/01/04  

What part of florida does your sister live? In orlando, I mainly hang out with people I work with and the local places we(my husband and friends) go, corner pocket billiards, stardust, and we are also students at UCF so that creates some interesting people.

By Sabriel On 01/29/04  

No one in north Florida, like the panhandle, huh? I can't say I blame any of you...

By senorcoconut On 01/29/04  

What's wrong? Becoming the "Redneck Riviera" is not something that appeals to you? I heard about all that resort stuff going up near, where was it, Santa Rosa or Ft. Walton area? I don't know the panhandle at all. I know Tally and that's about it.

By Sabriel On 01/30/04  

Alas, there is no "becoming," only "being." I live between those two towns, and may I say that if this area hasn't been declared the stucco monument capital yet, its time should be coming soon.

By dahlea On 02/09/04  

I live in Palm Bay, about 45 min. se of Orlando, on the east coast. We moved here about 9 months ago from Pittsburgh PA and i have to say I love it here! Except for like you guys said, it's VERY hard to meet people! After 9 months, the only people we hang out with are these 5 or 6 guys he works with. Impossible to make friends without a job!

By dahlea On 02/09/04  

I live in Palm Bay, about 45 min. se of Orlando, on the east coast. We moved here about 9 months ago from Pittsburgh PA and i have to say I love it here! Except for like you guys said, it's VERY hard to meet people! After 9 months, the only people we hang out with are these 5 or 6 guys he works with. Impossible to make friends without a job!

Page 1 [1] [2] Go to previous page Go to next page
gromcocontact infofreelance bbs