You are not logged in [Register] [Login] [Help/FAQ] [Search] [Index]

Topic quirkyalones: the book Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By roxy_fondue On 12/16/03  

so the new book "quirkyalones" is coming out, and I wondered what the glitterati consensus is?
>http://quirkyalone.net/qa/

A few years back, I discovered the "Quirkyalones" webpage through the zine "to-do list" and it saved my spinster soul from solitary oblivion. It was nice to know that I'm not so alone in my singleton ways, y'know? That just because I didn't have a partner, I was doomed to a lifetime of cats and jeopardy (although, in my trivia-obsessed opinion, that doesn't sound so bad). I have a partner now, but I am most definitely a quirkyalone at heart.

Are you? Do you identify with the quirkyalone? And if you have a partner, can you still BE a quirkyalone?

Let the Kvetching begin!

roxy the quirk

By lilyblue On 12/16/03  

"Quirkyalone is a newly coined term to describe people who enjoy being single but are not opposed to being in a relationship—people who prefer to be single rather than settle."

This is so me. I am quirkyalone and proud!

By sunkissedmiss On 12/17/03  

this is very interesting. I took the quiz, I got "How quirkyalone are you?
Your score was 69. Somewhat quirkyalone (otherwise known as quirkytogether):
You are probably part of a mysterious group of people, the quirkytogethers. You share many of our quirky qualities, but you manage to find yourself, on a regular basis, in a coupled situation. Interesting."

I think you can be quirkyalone and be in a relationship. :)

By wakingoogah On 12/17/03  

i got a 96. i was just thinking about this earlier, how i amjealous of not being invited to my friends' little get-togethers, but if i do go, i feel trapped and anythin gthey do seems dumb. But i still hardly go out on my own, i guess becuase of the strange looks i get, and i like to narrate rather than wait until later to write down my thoughts.

i love how the national quirky alone day is feb 14th, so now i don't have to find an excuse to set up a date.

By FloozySoozy On 12/17/03  

99, and have been 'with man' for just over a year. So I guess you don't have to be single to own cats.
Thanks for pointing me to these people, apparently I should fit right in. Because QUIZES DON'T LIE!
xs.

By antigone On 12/17/03  

Your score was 106. Very quirkyalone:
Relatives may give you quizzical looks, and so may friends, but you know in your heart of hearts that you are following your inner voice. Though you may not be romancing a single person, you are romancing the world. Celebrate your freedom on National Quirkyalone Day, February 14th!

Hmm... seems right to me. I don't think about it that much, but I do travel abroad alone every year and have done so since I was 16... and I go to all kinds of events with myself.

By rhinokey On 12/17/03  

Hey, I got 118. I can't decide if I should be proud to be the most quirkyalone person here so far, or very very not. I'm single more out of lack of interesting/interested men than personal choice, but I guess if I wanted to be in any old relationship, I would have been/still would be.

Quirkyalone or just extremely picky? Are they the same thing?

Liz x

By caropop On 12/17/03  

Rhinokey--you don't have to worry about being the best or the worst anymore, cause I just got a 125.

Hmmm.

And, I've known people who are etremely picky but would not be described as Quirkyalone. They don't necessarily go hand in hand, but I think you're better off that way.

ETA--I was playing with the quiz just out of curiosity and I think 125 is the highest score you can get. Apparently I answered all the questions 'right'

I'm left to wondering now, could I just email this site to my parents and hope that that helps them get it about me and my singlehood?

By peanut On 12/19/03  

hey! I'm a 125 too. very quirky, very alone. oh dear.

peanut

By achin to be On 12/17/03  

i got:
Your score was 116. Very quirkyalone:
Relatives may give you quizzical looks, and so may friends, but you know in your heart of hearts that you are following your inner voice. Though you may not be romancing a single person, you are romancing the world. Celebrate your freedom on National Quirkyalone Day, February 14th!

By trishie On 12/17/03  

I got 103, which seems a bit low for me. I think I got points taken off because I went to my prom, which shouldn't count since it was 13 years ago dammit and I'm much quirkier and much more alone (happy with being alone, that is).

By MonkeyMagic On 12/17/03  

I scored a 91 so i am a quirkyalone.
and i've been in a great relationship for about 4 years!!
yay!! I'm not dependant (i already knew this though)

By Snufkin On 12/17/03  

Oh definitely. I was a latchkey kid with two much older siblings. But it probably wasn't until 6-7 years ago that I finally got comfortable with being a quirkyalone. But I went through enough "I hate this person but I'm terrified of breaking up and being single" situations to finally realize that being on my own is probably much healthier. And I am a pretty quirkyalone kind of gal (who also makes really really bad decisions when it comes to men).

By kindarana On 12/17/03  

oh gosh, I'm only an 88. though I've been in relationship for years and years, and was an only (aka never left alone) child so it makes sense.

By ladyjane On 12/17/03  

How can someone in a long-term relationship score 113??? (sorry, I was just curious...I've always been "quirky.") I guess it's 'cause I do stuff by myself, in addition to stuff with my bf.

***Edited: Aha! I figured it out. My bf and I are two quirkyalones who found each-other (I think?).

And I swear, on my honor, we have never been spotted wearing coordinated J. Crew Sweaters.

By gingergirl On 12/17/03  

I got a 77 -- "quirky together", which is the same thing I got when I was in a relationship and took the test. I guess that means I'm me, whether I'm with someone or not. :)

By s.rock On 12/17/03  

105: Very Quirkyalone.

Same score I got when I took the quiz in *To-Do Lis*, before I was in my current 1 1/2 year relationship. Love don't change a thing!

By meadow On 12/17/03  

125! oh yeah!
i love quirkyalone. i think i found out about it through glitter and it just makes me happy. and as a single person/someone NOT looking for someone or whatever its so rare not to feel shitty for it.
i cant wait for the book!

By revafisheye On 12/17/03  

i first heard of quirkyalone in Utne Reader a few years ago and i become more so every year - 121 today! i'm proud to be in such fine company.

By MlleEmily On 12/18/03  

112 and proud!

Though I guess I'm more 'quirkytogether' seeing as I've been in a relationship for 2 yrs. But if it weren't for my honey, I don't think there's anyone else for me. That sounds a lot more romantic than it is- I just mean I doubt I'd have another relationship for years, cos I love my own company!

By AngiePants On 12/19/03  

Gasp! My people! I have found my people! I've got to have this book. Im also getting one for my mom to so that she will leave me alone about relationship crap... Ah, you made my day : )

By Elf_Chick On 12/19/03  

126. so wait, i'm the most quirkyalone here? (thus far anyway) I'm simultaneously proud and a little worried {:S

okay maybe i missed it but when does the bk come out? (can't seem to find on the page, but that means it's probably right in front of me...)
when i was at Borders yest. i looked it up but it said it wasn't published yet...too bad cos i would have certainly bought it for plane reading.

-S

By hightide On 12/20/03  

99, and thinking about dating. So far I haven't been in a relationship that really allows for my quirkyalone-ness...it starts out with "an independent girlfriend is wonderful" and slides into something less comfortable later.

By susan*s On 12/20/03  

I scored an 83, which makes sense to me. I've been with my boyfriend for five years, but I have lovely close friends who I do a lot of stuff with too. And I love to spend time alone.

I feel really comfortable in my relationship--like i can just say that I want to be by myself, and my boyfriend & I often make separate plans (he's more of an extravert than I am). Sometimes I feel that pull like i have to be alone for a little while, & I always feel so much better afterwards. I would hate a clingy boyfriend!!

By roxy_fondue On 12/20/03  

elf chick...

i think the book comes out at the beginning of january, but it may be available towards the end of december. happy reading!

roxy the advertiser

Page 1 [1] [2] Go to previous page Go to next page
gromcocontact infofreelance bbs