You are not logged in [Register] [Login] [Help/FAQ] [Search] [Index]

Topic your favorite sauce? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By quixotic. On 08/20/02  

i just went to the farmer's market and bought some fresh veg. i am all about cooking 'em up for dinner and placing them on top of some pasta or rice.

but i'm sick of just using butter/olive oil/marinara/soy (not all at once, but on separate veggie frenzy occasions) on them. any of you have any suggestions? i need some variety in my kitchen!

-betsy, who considers boiling things cooking.

By SublimeStitcher On 08/20/02  

I just disovered Annie's White Cheddar Cheese sauce. It's too strong on its own (I find) but if you mix it with spaghetti sauce and put on penne pasta...YUM!!

By Lacey On 08/20/02  

how about making your own pesto sauce. It can be made with anything. It doesn't have to be the typical one.
You can make it with oregano leaves instead or in addition to basil if you like!
It tastes good on pasta, meat or veggies. Or even better, Risotto! Yum!

I like sauces that have anchovies in them..but that's just me :)

By seventwelve On 08/20/02  

Lemon juice and lime juice.

I love my own bbq sauce, but I don't know how well it goes with veggies.

Speaking of lemon juice, if you like Olive Garden salad dressing, I have the recipe somewhere.

umm... Emeril packets are gross. Don't bother. Greek seasoning? Just go stand in front of the spice aisle and see what's good.

As far as I know, you can seldom go wrong with either ginger or garlic. :-)

Where's the farmer's market? Do you know of one up my way?

By Elf_Chick On 08/20/02  

hmm, i don't know how to make sauce. maybe that should be my next cooking foray. i do have a recipe for bbq sauce utilizing tomatoes and peaches though...again, don't know how that would go with veggies. hmm.

check the food network site, i bet there's a ton of stuff...http://www.foodtv.com

-S

By UnsafeBuilding On 08/20/02  

Sweet Baby Ray's honey barbecue sauce.

...What, you never have barbecue sauce on veggies?

By RetroDame On 08/20/02  

I love sauces. Besides white sauce, I don't make many sauces from recipes. Instead, I just mix a little of this, little of that until I have something I like. Usually I survey what is in the fridge and cabinet, and figure out what sort of flavor I am in the mood for, like, do I want something rich, tart, salty, sweet?

Ingredients to keep around:

Liquids: wine, vermouth (very useful), chicken stock, vinegar, olive oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, fruit juice, worchestershire, lemon or lime juice

herbs and spices: garlic, onion, ginger, black pepper, cumin, fresh herbs like parsley, rosemary, basil... I could og on forever

other flavorful stuff: mushrooms, greek oil-cured olives, pimentos, roasted red peppers, cranberry sauce

One of my favorite mixes is vermouth, roasted red peppers, garlic and olive oil... really yummy over chicken and broccoli.

Lara

By bratgirl On 08/21/02  

Teriaki sauce

It's SO easy and good on meat as well as vegetables.

Put approx 3 T of sugar in a pan and brown it. Add approx 2 t of water to stop the browning. Then add approx 2 T of soy sauce and mix. Simmer VERY low until it thickens into a syrup-y consistency. The nice thing is if you make it too thick, just add more water.

And Claymore - Sweet Baby Ray's is the BEST!!!

M.

gromcocontact infofreelance bbs